Wednesday, May 13, 2009

History

I know I started this blog about 2.5 yrs late, but better late than never. I'm gonna go get checked out at MD Anderson in about three weeks, and I thought my family and friends would appreciate an easy way to hear about my progress.

I thought I would start with a quick history of my cancer journey...but then I realized that quick is not possible :)

August 2006-noticed a knot above my right collar bone. Was just about to start my first teaching job, so decided to wait a few weeks to get life settled. Saw a PCP a few weeks later, and she sent me for an ultrasound of the neck.

The very next day, she showed up at school to tell me that something major was found. Fast forward to about 1.5 months later. A biopsy and colonoscopy showed that I had stage IV rectal cancer that had made its way into my lymph nodes and lungs.

Decided to put my care in Eric Nadler at big Baylor downtown, and started my first round of chemo four days before Thanksgiving 2006.

After a year of driving an hour every other week, Jason and I decided to move my care closer to home with Heidi Jordan at Southlake Oncology.

For those who know the lingo, my chemo history is as follows:
11/06-5/07: Folfox plus Avastin
5/07-10/07: Folfox minus Oxaliplatin
10/07-6/08: Fulfiri
6/08-4/09: Fulfiri plus Vectibix
4/09-present: Oxaliplatin

A few pesky tumors in my neck decided to start acting up, so I started 5 wks of radiation to the right side of my neck 4/09.

My surgery history is as follows:
09/06: lymph node biopsy, above right collar bone
10/06: port installed
8/08: fat injection to the left vocal cord
1/09: right ovary removed
4/09: biopsey of another lymph node in right neck

I'm leaving out all the drama involving coughing, paralyzed vocal cord, among other issues...but most of you probably heard all about it.

So, as of today...I am half way through radiation, counting down the days until school is over, and preping for the big MD Anderson appt on June 5th.

Thanks for joining me on my new blog!
*Kelly*

No comments:

Post a Comment

shabby

Followers