Saturday, May 16, 2009

Why MD Anderson

I friend who I haven't seen in a couple weeks asked why I'm going to MD Anderson, so here it is.

The drugs I have been on since about July (cpt-11, 5-FU, and Vectibix) are officially not working 100% anymore. The tumors in my neck that are currently being radiated have been very aggressive, and other very small spots have shown up in other locations. Besides the neck tumors, nothing is out of control, but one oncologist told me that it is time to beat the cancer back down. Vectibix is the drug that causes that fun skin rash. Unfortunately, I have ran through all the FDA approved drugs available for my kind of cancer. I have two choices: 1. recycle drugs I have already been on 2. find a clinical trial.

So, while I finish radiation and wait for my MD Anderson appt, I am back on Oxaliplatin (the drug that causes the hand and feet numbness). This was the first major chemo drug I was on when I first started chemo.

As far as MD Anderson goes, I was told to stay in town for 2 wks. Sounds a bit extreme to me. They want me there, available, to have tests and scans done, and also be available for numerious dr. appts when they can fit me in. The only thing I know today is that I meet with Dr. David Hong on the 5th at 11:00. He is the head of Anderson's clinical trial department, more specifically, phase I trials.

Cancer trials have four stages. They all start as phase I, and move up the scale based on the results they receive. I had a doctor tell me once that the majoity of drugs tested never move to stage IV status and on to FDA approval. I think something like 10-15% of all drugs tested become FDA approved..eventually.

So, I am going to MD Anderson to see what clinical trials I can enter. Stage I or II more specifically. I was talking to the research nurse at Dr. Jordan's yesterday, and she has been in communication with Anderson about my case. Someone there told her they have a trial that I should fit into..so I was happy to hear that. The only scary thing is that I will offically become a guinea pig. These are drugs that are just being tested on humans, so anything can happen. Well, this guinea pig is sitting at Petsmart, ready for whatever her new owner has in store for her!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us know, Kelly. 2 weeks! I'm sorry if this interferes/cancels your Alaskan cruise plans.
    We are all praying for you and I certainly hope that this trial is successful.

    ReplyDelete

shabby

Followers